« Home | Dakar 2006 » | Dakar » | One Last One » | Camaro » | GrizzlyMan » | Flutie » | 2006 » | BC » | Its A Go » | Roscoe »

Life List Updated

I have a new one to add to the list. This week I have been watching the Dakar Rally. It is a 5000 mile off road race that this year started in Lisbon and finishes in Dakar.

Ride Along For At Least One Day In The Dakar Rally
One of the race classes is the garbage truck-looking vehicles that I have a picture of here. There would be room, for a day, for someone to ride along. This idea is not as remote as it seems. An aquaintance of mine is racing in the car class in this year's rally. It is possible, I am not saying likely, that I could make this happen in the next couple of years.

I am saying part one but I do not know if there will be a part two or not but this is something I want to put together and try to live up to. I do or have done a couple of interesting things but not that many. I've been on the Fox News Channel a couple of times, I've been to Alaska once and Hawaii a bunch of times, I've hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim in one day, I've gone to two world series games and I fight forest fires. I'll put down some things and maybe a little color about why. These won't be any particular order, just as I think of them.

Visit New Zealand (Done)
This is likely to happen very soon, perhaps around my 40th birthday. We know someone with a house there and we can stay for free.

Visit Peru or Chile
We have seen both of these places on the show Amazing Race and they are beautiful, not what I would expect an emerging market country to look like, we own stock in a Chilean bank. Both places have mountains and beaches, which is our cup of tea.

Visit Iceland
Again we have seen Iceland on Amazing Race (I am a vidiot) and it looks fantastic. I am planning on opening an investment account at Kaupthing Bank to buy ETF shares. I think Iceland will develop a lot over the next 20 years or so.

We went to Iceland in July 2006.

See Mount Everest
Not climb, see it from base camp. I am not extreme enough to want to try to climb it, but seeing it from 16,000 feet may be something I can do. We used to know a couple of sisters that did this and base camp was too high for one of them. This is by far the least likely thing we will do.

Go To The College World Series
I watch every year and I love the action.

We went in June 2007. Links here, here and here.

Watch A Game in Fenway On Top of the Green Monster
We have to go to Boston in the spring of 2006 for my niece's bat mitzvah, this is doable but painfully expensive.

I am adding a couple of more today (June 12, 2005).

Serve As Fire Chief For A Year Or Two
I actively volunteer as a wildland firefighter. At this point I am an engine boss in training. I have had a fair bit of training and have fought a few fires in my time. We are in the process of trying to become a fire district. The benefit to me will be that my volunteer work will become a part time job. The downside with regard to this goal is that my becoming chief is just about impossible. Either way this is at least ten years away although I did get to be IC for a while in a drill we had yesterday.

Be A Part Owner Of A Minor League Baseball Team
I think minor league baseball is one of the great American things. If this is doable I would look to the pioneer league which is mostly in Montana and Idaho. This would very capital intensive. There are also investment companies that own multiple teams that take smaller investors as limited partners.